We spend so much time on our PC every day, surfing websites, engaging in social media, working and using apps. Hence, being able to launch our most used apps with a single click can be a convenient and time-saving luxury.
Windows has always allowed you to pin apps to the system tray for instant access, and Windows 11 is no different. However, with Windows 11, you can now pin files, folders, drives, and even websites to the system tray as well. How do you pin things to the Windows 11 system tray?
Here's how to pin an open app to the Windows 11 taskbar
By default, the Windows 11 taskbar contains the Start menu, Task View, Widgets, Chat, File Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and the Microsoft Store pinned to it. However, you can add more apps to it, including the ones you just opened.
When you open an app, its icon appears in the system tray. From here, you can pin the app to the system tray as follows:
- Right-click or press and hold the app's icon in the system tray.
- Click / tap Pin it to the system tray.
If you use an app from the Start menu frequently, you can save an extra click by pinning it to the system tray instead.
- Open that Start menu.
- Right-click or press and hold an app's icon in the Start menu.
- Click / tap Pin it to the system tray.
Windows 11's Start menu shows few apps, so the one you want to pin may not be there. To view even more apps:
- Click / tap that All apps Button on the top right.
- Right-click or press and hold the app you want in the All apps list.
- Click / tap More > Pin to the taskbar.
MAKEUSEOF VIDEO OF THE DAY
Apps can also be easily pinned to the taskbar from the desktop and the context menu.
- On the desktop or in File Explorer, right-click the app that you want to pin to the system tray.
- Click / tap Show more options > Pin to the taskbar.
How to pin a folder to the Windows 11 taskbar
You can pin a working folder, your current project, your music, or your pictures folder to the system tray for easy access. Here's how:
- Right click or hold the folder (I selected the Screenshots folder for this example), then click / tap Show more options > Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).
- Right click or hold the folder shortcut on your desktop, then click / tap properties.
- By doing abbreviation Tab, add the word Researcher followed by a space before the target Path which, as you can see in the screenshot, is "C: Users Neeraj Pictures Screenshots". Then click / tap Use.
- Click / tap the change symbol Button.
- Under Look for symbols in this file: Type imageres.dll and press Enter like in the screenshot below. From the folder icons that appear, choose a folder icon that you like and click / tap OK.
- Then click / tap in the folder properties OK.
- The folder shortcut icon on your desktop would have changed to the one you selected. Right click or hold the folder shortcut, then click / tap Show more options > Pin to the taskbaras in the screenshot below.
- Your folder is now pinned to the system tray. Simply open with a click / tap.
- Delete the drive shortcut on your desktop.
You will notice that the system tray icon of a pinned folder does not display a thumbnail when you hover over it. It will be displayed on the File manager Symbol.
How to pin a file to the Windows 11 taskbar
You can also pin a file you're working on for instant access. The steps to pin a file to the Windows 11 system tray are the same as the steps to pin a folder listed above.
Follow these steps to pin your preferred file to the system tray. Of course, just replace / read the word "folder" with the word "file".
Once you're done, you can open your pinned file with one click.
How to pin a drive to the Windows 11 taskbar
If you have multiple drives set up on your PC, you can pin them to the system tray for quick and easy access.
- Open minded This pc in File manager.
- Right click or hold the drive and click / tap Show more options> Create shortcut.
- You will be prompted to create the shortcut for the drive on the desktop. Click / tap Yes sir to create the shortcut.
After that, the process is the same as above for pinning a folder. So, follow these steps to pin your preferred drive to the system tray. Of course, just replace the word "folder" with the word "drive" instead.
How to pin a Microsoft Edge website to the system tray
Wouldn't it be great to be able to access your daily messages or working pages with one click? Fortunately, you can easily pin them to the system tray using Microsoft Edge:
- Start the Microsoft Edge browser from the taskbar.
- Open the site that you want to pin to the system tray. In this example I opened www.makeuseof.com.
- Click / tap on the 3-dot menu Settings and more > More tools> Pin to taskbar.
Here's how to pin a website or webpage to the system tray from Chrome
If you're not a fan of Microsoft Edge, you can pin websites and web pages that you visit in Chrome instead. For example, you can create a shortcut that Chrome will automatically open and Gmail will load when you click its icon in the system tray.
This is how it works:
- Go to Gmail in Google Chrome.
- When you are on the log in Page, enter your email ID and press Next.
- Do not enter your password on the next page. Click / tap the 3-dot menu icon Settings and more > More tools> Create shortcut.
- You will be prompted to name the shortcut as shown in the screenshot below. Here you can personalize the link to better identify it. For this shortcut, I've named "Gmail-Neeraj" to better describe where it leads. When you're done, click Create.
- The Gmail shortcut will appear on your desktop. Right-click or hold the shortcut, and then click Show more options> Pin to system tray.
- The page icon will appear as Google's “G” logo in your system tray. Now just click on it and enter your password to access your Gmail.
Fortunately, this feature isn't just limited to Gmail. You can follow these steps on any website to pin them to your system tray quickly and easily.
Pin almost anything to the system tray for a snappy Windows 11 experience
Windows 11 has some new features worth trying out, and pinning almost anything to the taskbar is just one of those useful tools available to you. Windows 11 lets you pin files, folders, apps, drives, and your favorite websites for one-click access, so go ahead and pin your favorites to your taskbar for a quick Windows 11 experience.
How to change sounds on Windows 11
Do you want to mix your system sounds on Windows 11? Here's how you can do that … and even set up some of your own custom sounds if you want.
About the author
(19 articles published)
Neeraj has been a professional writer and creative consultant researching new products and technologies and writing about their wonders for over two decades. His love for technology and the transformation of home electronics into intelligent devices ensure that he has adrenaline and a desire for more.
By Neeraj Paruthi
Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter for tech tips, reviews, free e-books, and exclusive offers!
Click here to subscribe